Page last updated: April 2019 by Oskar Faarkrog, ISSA Certified Trainer
This page was written by Oskar Faarkrog, ISSA Certified Personal Trainer and founder of SkinnyFatTransformation.com (3+ million views)
Being skinny-fat means that you lack muscle tone while being soft around your lower waist.
In clothes, a skinny-fat guy looks like a regular guy, but once the clothes come off all the flab and softness is revealed.
Skinny-fat guys find it difficult to gain even small amounts of muscle tone and we gain fat “just by looking at food”.
Most of us also find it extremely difficult to gain muscle mass on our upper body, especially around the shoulders, upper chest, upper back and arms.
Because of that, the skinny-fat body-type is BY FAR the hardest to transform and there’s a huge lack of quality training programs for our unique body-type.
The Best Body-Transformation Strategy For The Skinny-Fat Body-Type
The best strategy to transform the skinny-fat body-type consists of 2 phases:
- Phase 1: Shred excess body-fat to get lean.
- Phase 2: Add Muscle Mass IN THE RIGHT PLACES while staying lean.
In other words, we shred fat first and then we build your body back up with muscle mass in the right places.
I used this strategy to help my skinny-fat online coaching clients with close to a 100% success rate.
Here’s an example of my client Harshit Godha from India going through the 2 Phases of a body-transformation:
…And here’s Logan Rando from the US who made an amazing transformation following my 2 phase approach:
Click here to download Logan Rando’s full 5-page testimonial
Based on my experience coaching almost 100 skinny-fat guys, it takes 3-6 months to complete Phase 1.
The exact amount of time depends on your starting body-fat levels and individual response to training and diet.
The way I want you to see Phase 1 is like building the foundation of a house:
During Phase 1 we focus on creating that foundation through:
- Building foundational strength on important bodyweight exercises such as the pull up and diamond push up.
- Strengthening all shoulder heads and the triceps and biceps through isolation training.
- Optimising your hormonal balance, metabolism and nutrient partitioning (your body’s ability to utilise food for muscle gains) through a High Testosterone Diet approach.
- Improving your mobility and motor skills so you can do important movements such as the squat with perfect form.
In other words, we take a “step back” and start out small so you have ample time to build a very strong foundation.
This foundation will pay off big time over the coming years…
Phase 2 of a Body-Transformation
The foundation you build during Phase 1 will enable you to get your best results when you start doing a REAL “physique program” in Phase 2 of your transformation.
Chances are that the muscle gains you make once you enter Phase 2 will be the biggest you will ever make in your body-transformation career.
You will have the strength, mobility, nutrient partitioning and testosterone production required to recover from hard training and put on a large amount of muscle mass on your upper body.
During Phase 2 we focus on adding as much muscle mass as possible to the shoulders, lats, arms and upper chest, while keeping the waist and hips small.
Adding muscle mass in the right places creates that V-tapered look with powerful arms and a square chest that most men aim for:
The photo above shows the physique I achieved after going through the 2 phases of a body-transformation in just 1 year.
For the first time in my life, I had visible abs and a V-tapered build and I’ve managed to keep it ever since.
…And I didn’t have great genetics or a great starting point at all.
- During my first training session in February 2012 I couldn’t even shoulder press an empty 45 pound barbell for ONE rep, and I was a 6’2″ guy at 200 lbs. bodyweight!
- When I started training I couldn’t complete a single push up and it took me 6 months to get my first pull up.
- Around age 18 I was diagnosed with hypogonadism. This essentially meant that my testosterone production was extremely low. Testosterone is the male hormone responsible for important functions such as muscle gains so no wonder I didn’t respond to training.
Prior to coming up with my 2 Phase Approach I had trained for over 2 years without seeing any results despite following a high protein diet and adding hundreds of pounds to my compound lifts and training hard.
From the almost 100 skinny-fat men I’ve coached online, I had the WORST starting point from all of them, but through years of sweat and effort I still made my transformation happen.
Despite these difficulties, I still made my transformation happen.
Overall, since starting I lost 60 pounds of fat, gained 40 pounds of muscle mass and boosted my natural testosterone production with over 159%.
You can see some of my transformation in my 1 year progression photo, which was taken while following my 2 Phase Approach:
Click here to watch my full body-transformation video with monthly progress photos.
This photo represents the year of training which accounted for 80% or more of my body-composition changes.
I gained the most muscle mass and lost the most fat during that 1 year.
I’ve been able to replicate my 2 phase approach with dozens of clients who had massive success on my program.
Because of that, I truly believe that you will get your best results following my approach too.
Click here to apply for 1-on-1 online coaching.
Be proud but stay hungry,
Oskar Faarkrog, ISSA Certified Trainer